Tuesday, August 14

Two Tribes

The tents form the inner circle, wind breaks & foldaway chairs the outer defense. Flags declare allegiances. Camping it seems has turned territorial!

This is a far cry from my teenage years where a quick pitched tent on the first flat surface to be found and a mad dash to the nearest boozer sufficed. We're in a two man tent (missus cuttsy is though a woman), a tent just big enough for an inflatable double mattress and I can't help feeling that I'm cheating, even the merest hint of comfort is somehow selling out. Yet I watch car after 4x4 disgorge super deluxe family tents, followed by foldaway chairs & tables, gas barbecue ranges, heaters, flood lights and I'm pretty sure at one point a satellite dish!

I'm not sure who is missing the point me or them? The territorial land grab is though the most entertaining, this site you see does not have marked pitches and therefore is a free for all. Returning from a day out on the Cornish cliffs & beaches we find we have been invaded! Dirty looks and grumblings repel the marauding tribe. I extend the guide ropes to maximum & install machine gun posts for good measure. Once again our borders are safe. Next time I should pack a bouncy castle, but given this time I packed the car with a shoehorn & unpacked with a tin opener perhaps just a medium caliber hand gun!

Go on punk make my day!

two tribes, Frankie Goes To Hollywood

No comments: